This web page uses its own cookies and the third-party cookies to collect the information which help us make the service as good as possible. By no means is our intention to use it for gathering personal data.
The Archaeological Zone of the Torrox Lighthouse includes a series of remains from the Roman period that make it one of the major archaeological sites in the province of Malaga.
In use from the 1st to the 4th century A.D., the site consists of a villa, a salting factory and some kilns, as well as a necropolis and thermal baths. Excavations and historical sources confirm this site as major center for farming and fishing and exports, identified with the city of Caviclum.
The villa was discovered and excavated in 1905 during renovation of the lighthouse. At that time a large number of rooms were found arranged around a peristyle, of which only a small area to the west remains uncovered.
The floor was decorated with mosaics, some remains of which are still preserved. Others are in the Archaeological Museum of Malaga and Barcelona. The most important time of the villa can be dated to around the 3rd century AD.
It is worth emphasizing the importance of the mosaics found in Torrox, both for their rarity and for their magnificent state of conservation.
In this part of the archaeological remains, within the former premises of the lighthouse keeper, is today the Interpretation Center of the Roman Ruins of the Torrox Lighthouse.