This web page uses its own cookies and the third-party cookies to collect the information which help us make the service as good as possible. By no means is our intention to use it for gathering personal data.
Besides being one of the only two Spanish lighthouses that has a feminine name, la Farola is a recurring element in the iconography of Malaga. It was erected in the early 19th century, its construction finished in 1816 during the reign of Fernando VII.
It has undergone several reforms throughout its history. The first one was carried out due to the damage caused by the earthquake of 1884. In 1885, improvement works were undertaken and it was equipped with a new lighting device to improve guidance for navigators at night. In 1909 the lighthouse keeper's house was enlarged.
During the Civil War, the order was given to turn off the lighthouse and paint it over to make it harder to see, but it was damaged despite those efforts and had to be repaired.
It is located on the promenade of the same name, in the neighborhood of La Malagueta, between the Port of Malaga and the Paseo Marítimo Ciudad de Melilla.
The expansion of the Port and the transformation of Pier One are two more reasons not to miss this tourist attraction.